“We will ensure the settlement you receive is the best possible — and we are not afraid to go to trial to get it.”
– Attorney Eric Overholt

“We will ensure the settlement you receive is the best possible.”

Are in-home care workers entitled to workers’ comp in California?

On Behalf of | May 20, 2024 | Workers' Compensation |

Many people suffer from medical conditions that make it difficult for them to take care of themselves. In-home health care workers are available to assist California residents as an In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS). These workers will typically help with cleaning, meal preparation, bathing, laundry, shopping, and other household chores and errands, as well as administering medications.

In-home care workers may be at risk for injury due to the nature of their jobs. These workers may be injured as a result of:

  • Patient handling.
  • Pets.
  • Motor vehicle accidents (when driving to and from the patient’s home).
  • Infections.
  • Slip-and-falls.
  • Secondhand smoke.

Generally, the injuries may be caused by a single incident, repeated exposure over time, or a crime at the workplace.

What benefits can you receive if you are injured on-the-job?

IHSS in-home care workers who are injured while working may be entitled to California workers’ compensation benefits. You or your loved ones may receive the following benefits:

  • Medical expenses: For doctor visits, medical tests, and other medical services.
  • Temporary disability: Up to two-thirds wages if you are unable to work during your recovery. You may receive payments for up to 104 weeks within five years from your injury date.
  • Permanent disability: If you are unable to fully recover, permanent disability may be awarded based on your age, job, and medical reports issued by your physician.
  • Supplemental job displacement: Up to $6,000 in the form of a voucher if you have a permanent disability and require new training or skills to find a new job.
  • Death: Awarded to your spouse, children, or dependents if you pass away due to a workplace injury.

If you have been injured while working as an in-home service provider, you should report your injury to the IHSS Public Authority within 30 days of the injury. Conditions that occur over time should be reported as soon as you discover its connection to your job. You will then need to fill out a workers’ compensation claim form as soon as possible.